Report of Lieut. Col. Alfred D. Owen, Eightieth Indiana Infantry of operations November 23-December 5, 1864

Nashville, TN after battle report:

No. 110.

Report of Lieut. Col. Alfred D. Owen, Eightieth Indiana Infantry of operations November 23-December 5, 1864.

Nashville, Tenn., December 5, 1864
SIR: In compliance with circular issued from division headquarters of this date, I have the honor to make the following of operations of my regiment from Johnsonville, Tenn., up to the present time:

Leaving that place November 23, 1864, by railroad, via Nashville, we arrived at Columbia, Tenn., about 2 a.m. of the 24th instant [ultimo], where we were ordered by Col. Moore into the earth-works on the south side of town and the fort. About 10 a.m. I received orders to march out on the Mount Pleasant pike. After proceeding about a mile I was detached from the brigade, and moved to the right of the pike, where I relieved a battalion of cavalry, who were guarding a ford across the creek that ran into Duck River, and about one mile from its mouth. Have I threw up a barricade of rails, and at 10 p.m. Capt. Lee, assistant commissary of musters, brought me orders to move to a commanding position 250 yards to my left, and relieved me by the One hundred and twenty-ninth Regt. Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After completing another barricade I permitted my men to rest during the remainder of the night, and at 8 a.m. on the 25th Col. Moore moved my regiment to the left of the One hundred and eleventh Regt. Ohio Volunteer Infantry, where I constructed earth-works to the pike, a distance of 300 yards. Company B, Capt. Mosier commanding, was on picket and under fire during the day, but sustained no loss. At 6 p.m. I received orders to march at 12 that night to Duck River railroad bridge, following the Twenty-third Regt. Michigan Volunteer Infantry, but in consequence of a misunderstanding the Twenty-third Michigan and my regiment were separated from the remainder of the brigade about 1 o’clock in the morning and compelled to return to the pike, when we marched to Duck River bridge, arriving there shortly after daylight of the 26th instant. Here we were again occupied in erecting earth-works until 3 a.m. on the morning of the 28th of November, when we were ordered to cross Duck River, and build works on the north side, but before finishing them the enemy’s skirmishers made their appearance on the opposite bank, and occupied our attention until 11 a.m., when they opened upon my regiment with artillery. After firing a few shots two guns of the Twenty-second Indiana Battery, on my right, silenced those of the enemy.

Nothing more of interest transpired during the day or night, and at 10 a.m. on the 29th I moved, in obedience to Col. Moore’s orders, toward the Franklin pike. On arriving within two miles and a half of Spring Hill the enemy’s skirmishers opened upon us and we were ordered into line of battle, and marched to within one mile of Spring Hill, where we halted for an hour, after which time we resumed our march, reaching Franklin at 7 a.m. on the 30th instant, and were again occupied in building works. At 4 p.m. the enemy moved upon us, but were driven back in confusion. During the engagement I received orders to send two companies to take possession of the works on the left of the Twenty-third Regt. Michigan Volunteer Infantry, where troops had been driven back. I sent Companies C and H, under Capt. Cochran, who retook the works and held them during the fight, taking 40  prisoners, including 1 major, 1 inspector-general, and 2 lieutenants. My loss during the fight was 10 men wounded-Sergt. George W. Walker, Company B; Corpl. J. Alexander Chambers, Company C;  Privates William H. Spore and William C. McIntire, Company E; Corpl. J. L. Knowles and Private Adam Emmert, Company F; Privates Henry Ferrell and John Hunley, Company H; Private W. H. H. Ranner, Company G, and Sergt. V. Corben, Company K. At 12 o’clock at night we left the works, crossing the river, and marched toward this place, arriving at 3 p.m. of the 1st instant, where have remained uninterrupted until the present time.

Respectfully submitted.

Lieut. Col., Cmdg. Eightieth Regt. Indiana
Vol. Infantry.

Lieut. S. H. HUBBELL,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source:  Official Records
PAGE 383-93   KY., SW. VA., TENN., MISS., ALA., AND N. GA.   [CHAP. LVII.
[Series I. Vol. 45. Part I, Reports, Correspondence, Etc. Serial No. 93.]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s