33rd Mississippi flag captured by Stiles’ brigade

The flag of the 33rd Mississippi Infantry was captured as Winfield S. Featherston’s brigade (Loring’s Division) assaulted the position of eastern flank defended by the 120th and other regiments.

33rdMissFlag“The color-bearer of the Thirty-third was killed some fifteen paces from the works,” reported Brig. Gen. W.S. Featherston, “when Lieutenant H.C. Shaw, of Company K, carried them forward, and when in the act of planting them on the works was killed, his body falling in the trench, the colors falling in the works.”

Isaac C. Clark, 63rd Indiana Infantry [fought alongside the 120th], wrote the following account in his diary:

“We marched all night. Arrived at Franklin, Tenn. in the morning. Here we halted, and built a line of works, and we thought ( as the rebels seemed anxious for a fight, ) that we would try our hand on them at this place, so we made all necessary preparations. We had cannon placed along our line of works, about 50 yards apart, besides a number of well fortified forts, containing several pieces of artillery. At 4 o’clock p.m., the enemy came, they drove in our pickets and made a desperate charge upon our works, but were driven back with a great slaughter, however this did not satisfy them, and they came again and again until they had made as much as 8 or 10 different charges upon our works. They took a portion of our works at one time, but they were immediately retaken by our men; they fought with a desperation worthy of a better cause. The battle lasted 7 hours; we retreated at 11 p.m. Co. D., had one man killed, Co. E., one wounded. The enemy loss was reported at 8 or 10 thousand.

Our regt., had helped build a great many lines of works during the war, but this was the first time that they had the privilege of fighting behind works during a general engagement.

We retreated to Nashville, and went into camp at Fort Negley. The enemy followed us but they did not make a charge upon us at Nashville as they did at Franklin, I think that they had got about enough of charging; but they halted some distance from the city and built works. We remained in camp some 15 days, and there was some fighting going on every day during this time.”

“Reminiscences of an Old 63rd, Ind., Soldier”
By Isaac C. Clark
Covington, Ind., Nov. 27, 1875 http://www.indianainthecivilwar.com/letters/63rd/63diary.htm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s