April 1 – Federals begin Mobile campaign to lay siege to Ft. Blakely. Capture it on the 9th.
April 2 – Confederate Government evacuates Richmond; Davis flees in a woman’s dress.
April 3 – Richmond, capital of the Confederacy falls.
April 4 – President Lincoln tours Richmond in person, now in Union control.
April 8 – Sherman resumes march on Johnston.
April 9 – Lee surrenders to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia.
Letters 1 |
April 9 – Pvt. Cyrus B. Harrington, 8th CT, dies on the last day of the Civil War.
April 10 – Robert E. Lee gives his formal farewell address to his Army of Northern Virginia.
See the complete Civil War Timeline here.
For more information:
- Read about the capture of Jefferson Davis in the New Georgia Encyclopedia.
- Read the new book, Pursuit: The Chase, Capture, Persecution, and Surprising Release of Confederate President Jefferson Davis by Clint Johnson.
- Read the new book, The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox by Stephen Budiansky.
- Read the new book, General Lee’s Army: From Victory to Collapse by Joseph Glatthaar
- See the complete Civil War Timeline here.