I started collecting memorabilia related to the husband-wife Irish-songster duo – Mr and Mrs Barney Williams – several years ago. I’m excited to say I recently found this CDV on eBay of The Williams’. I’ve never seen it before. Barney is in costume for one of his most famous acts: Ragged Pat.
Barney Williams, (Bernard O’Flaherty) was born in Cork county Ireland in 1823. His parents immigrated to America when he was a young boy and settled in New York. By 1836, at age 13, he was connected with the Franklin theatre. He learned clogging while in Ireland and became the first professional clogger in America by 1840. In his early performance-days Barney performed negro minstrels, the circus, and performed a variety of song-n-dance routines. Click on the following links to read about Williams’s performance career during the Civil War in America.
Here are some of my previous posts related to Mr and Mrs Barney Williams.
- Mr and Mrs Barney Williams
- Barney Williams (1823 – 1876), Irish songster, comedian and performer, played for the troops
- Barney Williams, Irish songster performed for the soldiers during the Civil War
- When he opened his mouth you could smell the shamrock.
- Reviews of Barney Williams’ “Paddy” character