Camp Oglethorpe was in operation from 1861 through 1864.  It had a maximum capacity of 600 but saw its peak reach a threshold of nearly 2,000 Union souls.  This prison was a converted fairgrounds facility.  In May 1864 some 1,500 Union officers were taken prisoner in Camp Oglethorpe, doubtless many from the capture and Battle of Plymouth the month before.

Advertisements