The prison was wedged between railroad tracks and the Ocmulgee River in Macon. The actual Oglethorpe site itself was enclosed by a rough stockade of some 15-20 acres. When Foote arrived there in mid May 1864 he found living quarters consisting of sheds or stalls constructed from materials within the stockade.
Successful formal exchanges resulted in hundreds of Union officers evacuating Oglethorpe in 1863, but the exchange system would infamously breakdown soon after, and the ranks of most Civil War prisons were swollen way past maximum capacity in the summer and fall of 1864.
By the summer of 1864, the Officer-population at Oglethorpe was extended to over 2,300 men. Shelter by then was barely adequate. Rations for the prisoners consisted of beans, cornmeal, and rice. Due to local area Union cavalry raids, most prisoners were moved from Oglethorpe in July 1864, which is why Foote was moved at the end of the month (28th).