Foote also articulated one of the greatest fears that every POW had in crowded prison conditions; the fear of a disease outbreak. On August 3rd he wrote, “If we are not moved from here before long, some disease will break out. We are crowded up in filth.” Yellow Fever outbreak was particularly worrisome to the prisoners as well as to the city. If the ‘Fever’ broke out among the prison population there was also great concern among Charleston residents that it would spread into the civilian population. In fact, it was a Yellow Fever outbreak concern that resulted in Foote being moved from Charleston and transferred to Columbia in late September. His Sept 29th diary entry reads, “One of our Officer’s died this morning (Lt. Stahl). Billious fever. Yellow Fever in the City.” But Yellow Fever was a constant concern in all prison camps. At least one officer died in Columbia – Camp Sorghum – on October 16th according to Foote’s diary.
- Robert E. Lee’s personally signed map surfaces at Antiques Roadshow
- Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief by McPherson is out
- Rebel Yell – another book on Stonewall – Book Note
- Kentucky Rising: Democracy, Slavery, and Culture from the Early Republic to the Civil War – Book Note
- Such Troops as These, Stonewall book out 9/2
- Ed Bearss wins the 2014 Douglas Southall Freeman Award for book on Petersburg Campaign
- New historical novel about the former slave Robert Smalls
- How important was it to control “interior lines” during the Civil War?
News and Notes
The Civil War Gazette allows the first-hand participants - both common soldier and civilian - to tell the story of their experience of the Civil War from their perspective; through letters, diaries, newspapers articles, and other authentic first-hand accounts.
Many items posted to The Civil War Gazette often corresponds to the exact day the item was originally written during the Civil War. Think of The Civil War Gazette as the daily newspaper for all-things Civil War with accounts from those who experienced this great war as participants.
What can one find on the CWG?